This is not exactly the best render I’ve done (or the best character either), but I’m posting it because it was a good exercise in recording my process. Also, it serves as an experiment to be able to do good and clear timelapses/tutorials in the future.
One really good thing I noticed while doing this, is that just by capturing the screen I’m forcing myself to keep focused on the subject and stop procrastinating, something I’m very good at Maybe is because I don’t want to edit hours of my time wasting abilities online.
Also, seeing the process in video is a good way to see what could be improved (in the worklfow) and/or changed for the next project. Before doing this I recorded two more speedsculpts, and noticed how much time I loose just thinking about what I’m doing, there were very long pauses showing just the cursor moving around the screen and rotating the model randomly without actually doing nothing on it.
So for further projects I’ll record the entire process, to keep focus, improve myself and also to share it later here.
There’s a few things I could’ve cut off from the final version, but here it is anyway. Roughly 2 hours of work (without render times) condensed in 25 minutes.
While experimenting with the Animation Nodes addon for Blender (and trying to understand how it works), I came up with this simple loop, and decided to make a gif out of it. Crappy quality and lots of noise because I didn’t wanted to spend a whole day rendering this…
For anyone wanting to create procedural animation and/or motion graphics in Blender, I heavily recommend this addon, doing animation with nodes is really cool 🙂
I made this for the september competition at BlenderGuru.com. The theme is “Underwater”, so I decided to take an old model to create this. It’s done with the Blender internal renderer and a lot of help of the compositor. Only one small final color correction in Photoshop.
I managed to finish the face rig and it looks pretty cool, but now that I fully understand the process I’ll go back to polish the model and add a few things to it. I’ll turn him into a mexican Luchador, so there’s still many things to do. Once he’s finished and fully textured, I’ll create the rig again from scratch, to study it more and hopefully make it better. Finally, once all that is done I’ll make a little animation to test it.
Here’s the ref sheet for the mask and the overall look of the character, and a few more render tests: